Pages

Where am I

I managed to slip over on 6-November-2015 and fracture the femoral head of my right hip. This blog is just to keep friends and relatives up-to-date with my recovery. It also will show where the NHS is good and where there is opportunity to improve. If you click the images tab (above) there are a few images of the break before and after the repair.

Update 10-June-2016 - sadly the femoral head has avascular necrosis and a total hip replacement will be carried out on 15-June-2016

I am home in Stoke Bruerne

Monday 16 November 2015

Day 11

Please remember the one minute silence at
11:00 GMT today in memory of those who
lost their lives, those affected by and those who
continue to work on, the fallout from Friday's atrocities
A really good night's sleep in my new single room and no noise at all.

I have received a lovely e-mail overnight from Christoph 'Bastard' who is now working in the British Virgin Islands with his family just outside Sydney.

I expect today will be one with some interesting outcomes as I am sure the matter of me moving on will be discussed at some stage.  I am ready to go to somewhere else as I think that will help with my recovery.  I must however say that, on the two occasions when I have had an emergency admission to hospital, the NHS have delivered including, of course, on this occasion. Not everything to my satisfaction and hugely bound by processes and regulations (they are not allowed to take a chocolate from my (increasing) supply when I have offered it) but on the whole they have got me to a stage in less than 10 days where I can:
  • walk around albeit aided and only hoping
  • shower and dress myself
  • turn down painkillers
So well done NHS - not perfect but in reality, in the circumstances you find yourself, a very good show.

Just been advised I am off for a DXA (bone density) scan sometime today. If they scan my head they'll get a full scale 'dense' reading - anyone of my age who falls over and breaks their hip must be a bit dense. Anyone reading this who may be coming to visit (and of course I'd welcome that) please be aware that I may be being Dexa'd as no one has any idea when I may be going. I'll update the blog when I know, if I can. Stop Press - DXA scan is at 11:00

DXA scan over and done with - I thought they were a bit rough with my leg and that I was just a commodity (I probably am) but honour has been satisfied and the scan is complete. In fact in hindsight I think the operator's understanding of customer care was 0%. Update at 20:30 - following a chat with a friend of mine I have decided to formalise a 'complaint' because I am lucky enough to have the ability to do something whereas an elderly lady, for example, who is in the normal range for broken hips (85-90) would probably still be treated the same way but not have the ability to speak out. Also it is completely at odds with the way I have, in the main, been treated since my admission so it is not fair to have one person bring down the overal standard in the way it was brought down.  My aim is get the person concerned ongoing training in being kind and pleasant to patients.

A quiet afternoon with a lovely visit from Roger Hasdell and I was so pleasantly surprised to see Trevor Morley, from whom I bought the house.

No news on what the next move is for me so I have decided that the first move needs to come from the hospital; I shall be in a position, following research, to know what questions to ask but I assume I'll get 10 mins notice of moving!

I just don't feel I have made any progress at all today probably due to my experience with the DXA scan this morning - I know progress isn't a straight line and I'll just have to accept some days of marking time; today I think is the first of one of those days, let's hope there aren't too many of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.