Pages

Where am I

I managed to slip over on 6-November-2015 and fracture the femoral head of my right hip. This blog is just to keep friends and relatives up-to-date with my recovery. It also will show where the NHS is good and where there is opportunity to improve. If you click the images tab (above) there are a few images of the break before and after the repair.

Update 10-June-2016 - sadly the femoral head has avascular necrosis and a total hip replacement will be carried out on 15-June-2016

I am home in Stoke Bruerne

Monday 23 November 2015

Day 18

A very good night's sleep.  If nothing else I am sleeping well although at one stage when I woke during the night I did think my leg was aching a bit - it's OK now.

Today is a day of expectation - I am hoping a lot of things will happen today as a result of questions that have been asked over the weekend.  Specifically I am expecting to have a care plan agreed with me and that may just give me a clue as to where I am going next and when my appointment with the consultant/registrar/fracture clinic may be.  I also need my toe nails cut - I just can't get to them and they are starting to 'irritate' me and are a little bit sore.  The NHS can't do anything about it because they might cut me by mistake - it's quite crazy.  I think I am going to have to wait until Wednesday when a Chiropodist visits - I expect at my age to see such a person is not a bad idea. I am also expecting to see a doctor today to find out if it is necessary to look at the wound or if the dressing is best left alone - it's not been touched since it was put in place on 7-November and also to tell me if the tightness in my right calf muscle is 'expected' (could be the case I think) or if it needs attention.

Don't look if you are squeamish!
Well what a difference this morning - they can't do enough for me!  I wonder if someone said something over the weekend? Gabriella is back on duty and kindly took the dressing off my thigh and Alison came in to take off the steri strips. They are all amazed at how well the scar has healed.

Physio has been this morning (I did say things were happening) and says all OK but I must keep practicing with the crutches (I do find them difficult).  I do have permission to go Sculptor's 80th birthday do in Stoke Bruerne on Saturday as long as I don't get out if my wheelchair, which will be good  for me I am sure. The most important thing on the critical path now is a date for assessment of the way the bones are knitting together and the strength of the repair to my hip. Next is where I will go for the longer term rehabilitation.

14:45 and no sign of a doctor and no sign of anything being done to produce a care plan or a date for seeing the consultant/registrar/fracture clinic- slightly tongue-in-cheek but it is, sadly, within my expectations. 17:00 and still no sign of the doctor or the care plan or the date for consultant/registrar/fracture clinic - another day when things that were 'promised' haven't been delivered. The information I have found on the NGH website says my care plan should be started on the day I arrive at the hospital so it is at least 18 days late now if my maths is correct.

Lovely visits this evening from Louise, Mike, James and Roy & Christine Sears - thank you all for enhancing my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.