Pages

Where am I

I managed to slip over on 6-November-2015 and fracture the femoral head of my right hip. This blog is just to keep friends and relatives up-to-date with my recovery. It also will show where the NHS is good and where there is opportunity to improve. If you click the images tab (above) there are a few images of the break before and after the repair.

Update 10-June-2016 - sadly the femoral head has avascular necrosis and a total hip replacement will be carried out on 15-June-2016

I am home in Stoke Bruerne

Saturday 28 November 2015

Day 23

Lying here musing in the wee small hours about my diagnosed Vitamin D deficiency.  It has been identified since the first blood test, in A and E, that I am deficient in, amongst other things, Vitamin D and markedly so. I was told I would be given a Vitamin D supplement which I thought came in the form of a chewy pill roughly the size of a old penny which I am given twice a day but it now seems this is a calcium supplement. When the Geriatric (preposterous for me of course!) consultant visited during the week he again reiterated the need for Vitamin D and even spoke of a 50,000 unit booster. Well, when my friend Vicky visited last night, she was quick enough to ask the nurse what format the Vitamin D supplement was coming in.  It's not because it seems it was never prescribed. There were three professionals in the room when the consultant said I needed the supplement. As it is now the weekend that cannot be resolved until Monday.  Vitamin D has the nickname 'the happy vitamin' and the deficiency I have probably explains the anxiousness I feel on some days.

I am not best pleased that the supplement has not been prescribed and that as it was discovered it wasn't being prescribed on a Friday evening nothing can be done until Monday morning - this is the 5 day-a-week NHS that the current government is banging on about and that aspect has been brought home in no uncertain terms to me.

I have confirmed with Gabriella, today's duty nurse, that she remembers me being advised I needed additional Vitamin D but she also confirmed that it is not on my list of medicines to be given and they can't do anything until Monday.  I just wonder why there are two days in the week when errors cannot be addressed. People get ill (and get better) no matter what day of the week it is.

Now time to think about going to Stoke Bruerne this afternoon.

Just had the bandaging permanently removed so if anyone wishes to see my 'war wound' they only have to ask!

The new banner for Sculptor to
celebrate her 80 years - Lynda Payton
A lovely outing back to my beloved stomping ground of Stoke Bruerne today to help celebrate the 80th birthday of Sculptor, Canal & River Trust's Small Northwich former working boat.  Sculptor was delivered on 28-November-1935. We had a lovely cake and plenty of cups of tea (always a good thing) followed by a pleasant evening in The Navigation. Thank you to everyone who made the visit so special for me.





The banner above says:

  • Don't I look good for my age?
  • I was conceived on 29-December-1934
  • I was delivered on 28-November-1935
  • I am owned by the Canal & River Trust and looked after by volunteers from The Friends of The Canal Museum
  • I used to carry cargo for the Grand Union Canal Carrying Co and was a Fire Boat during World War 2
  • I helped maintain the Shropshire Union Canal for many years and came to Stoke Bruerne in 1986 as an example of a Small Northwich working boat

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.