Pages

Where am I

I managed to slip over on 6-November-2015 and fracture the femoral head of my right hip. This blog is just to keep friends and relatives up-to-date with my recovery. It also will show where the NHS is good and where there is opportunity to improve. If you click the images tab (above) there are a few images of the break before and after the repair.

Update 10-June-2016 - sadly the femoral head has avascular necrosis and a total hip replacement will be carried out on 15-June-2016

I am home in Stoke Bruerne

Saturday 5 December 2015

Day 30

Well here we are on day 30 and the day when my house insurance would have been substantially reduced because of 30 days of no occupancy.  Luckily I have had friends coming and going collecting the little bits and pieces that I deem essential to my life in Cliftonville and my friend and neighbour James tried out my house for size before he went to Barbados on holiday (envious me? of course not - well a little but I have Cliftonville!).

Very sadly I heard last night that my cousin Priscilla had died yesterday morning at the age of 82. I hadn't seen her for a good number of years but when family die I find it kind of reiterates that you are also mortal. I have her close family in my thoughts but have made it known that I am not, for the foreseeable future,  fit enough to go to a family funeral.

Reminiscing in my mind about my lovely outing yesterday and hoping that the open day that Canal & River Trust are having at Banbury Town lock is successful despite the awful weather.  We have a similar event at Stoke Bruerne top lock over the weekend of 13/14-February - it is my intention I shall be home by then and able to take an active part in the events - cheese scones anyone?

Slightly concerned that the hospital is writing to me at home (significant change of timing for Fracture Clinic on 14-December) when I am still an in-patient in their care and that nurses in Cliftonville had no record of the change in time - the letter was dated 27-November. I suppose that being forewarned is being forearmed so I will ask Louise and Steph at the museum to check that there are no NHS letters in my mail.

Just watched an interview on BBC with a cardiologist pontificating (no other word for it) about the NHS and quoting a mortality rate for a broken hip of 25% without qualifying it.  If I hadn't done my research and know it is nothing like that for me I could be quite concerned. BBC please sort out your journalism - it is not of the highest quality.

Everyone has been very kind with offering to do things to help so I have created a 'Shopping List' on the right with things that are on my mind.  I will remove / add things as necessary.

A very quiet day here but I can hear the wind howling outside and I am very pleased I am not out in it - hope the house is OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.