Pages

Where am I

I managed to slip over on 6-November-2015 and fracture the femoral head of my right hip. This blog is just to keep friends and relatives up-to-date with my recovery. It also will show where the NHS is good and where there is opportunity to improve. If you click the images tab (above) there are a few images of the break before and after the repair.

Update 10-June-2016 - sadly the femoral head has avascular necrosis and a total hip replacement will be carried out on 15-June-2016

I am home in Stoke Bruerne

Sunday 21 February 2016

Day 102 (54) to Day 108 (61)

21-Feb
Blowy and gusty again today but as with yesterday only scheduled to last a few hours. A busy week coming up with Jim and Dave doing the bathroom all week, Physio on Monday, Derek's funeral in Westbury on Tuesday, a blood test, a CRT meeting (in the museum) and further NHS Physio on Wednesday - relaxation on Thursday I hope and I'll maybe get to use my new shower by then.

Still a bit stiff this morning but almost no pain in the hip and 'quad' muscles - all very odd and unpredictable! Walking so well (a relative term!) today - very strange it all is.

20-Feb
The new bathroom cabinets
There will be mirrors in the doors
I have undertaken a little more research on Trendelenburg's this morning and found this. It seems quite common and a likely by-product of a hip repair.  I shall keep doing the exercises the Registrar suggested and check with 'my' Physio, Liz, when I see her on Monday. However quite stiff and sore today - I wonder why that is - most days are good with the odd one here and there a bit of a step backwards.

The bathroom cupboards - the curved
one is for the main bathroom
I popped over to Weedon this morning to see Jim (who is doing my bathroom and the little ensuite in the top bedroom) to see what the furniture looked like.  The larger 'cupboards' will have frosted glass basins let into the tops. There are more images of Jim's work here.

19-Feb
I did a day for CRT in Milton Keynes today and got struck in to what CRT think are winding holes and what independent map makers think are winding holes - there's quite a bit of difference!

A letter from the NHS when I got home reporting on my visit to the Fracture Clinic last Thursday - I was surprised to read I have a 'Slightly Positive Trendelenburg' stance which suggests an instability in my pelvis and something to do with either my muscles and/or nerves on the side my hip was broken.  The comment says I will not show this stance in three months - I hope that's correct.

18-Feb
A fairly quiet day - looking in my wardrobe for something decent to wear to Derek's funeral next week. I think I have found something at fits the occasion and adds a bit of colour to to the event in celebration of Derek's life.

My friend Mike delivered an excellent presentation (no PowerPoint thank goodness) last night at the monthly Friends of The Canal Museum meeting.  All about his 20, or so, years in Stoke Bruerne which was finished off by a bit of excellent mucking about on his trumpet - I wonder what Village at War will bring. I had a lovely evening meal with my friend David Daines in the Navigation prior to the FoCM meeting.  

17-Feb
Jim (the bathroom man) called me today to say he would start on Monday next (22-Feb) which is good news.  I shall be away for one day attending the funeral of my friend Derek in Westbury, Wilts.  My friend Mike has banned me from driving and will take me which is very kind of him.

16-Feb
Nothing like so stiff this morning although I did keep up on the exercises the consultant prescribed. A sharp frost overnight, but no more cold than I remember in the early 1980s - I get exasperated by the media who do go on and on and on about how cold it was last night. It is a typical winter's day today - bright, clear and frosty - just what a winter should be - my only change in lifestyle will be that I shall be a bit more careful when outside in case I slip - because I know only too well the consequences of slipping! I have a real fear of falling over - no more gin then!

15-Feb
Last night I started the exercises which my consultant had suggested would help. The longer term answer is that they do work, of that there is no doubt BUT I was so stiff this morning I could hardly move!  It took a walk to the tunnel portal and back to get things moving again but I do think the longer term result is good.  Maybe after a few 'consultant' exercises I won't be quite so stiff in the mornings!

Still bitterly cold with a biting NE wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.