Pages

Where am I

I managed to slip over on 6-November-2015 and fracture the femoral head of my right hip. This blog is just to keep friends and relatives up-to-date with my recovery. It also will show where the NHS is good and where there is opportunity to improve. If you click the images tab (above) there are a few images of the break before and after the repair.

Update 10-June-2016 - sadly the femoral head has avascular necrosis and a total hip replacement will be carried out on 15-June-2016

I am home in Stoke Bruerne

Friday 1 July 2016

Another B&££dy shambles

I have been concerned over the last few days that the promised NHS Physio and a carer coming in twice daily to check things are OK hasn't happened.  It's always difficult to know when to ask why it hasn't happened; I decided that after the post was delivered by Dawn this morning with nothing about care or physio in it that the time was right.

I have just come off an hour's conversation with the Practice Manager at my GP Practice who is very sympathetic and utterly horrified at the treatment I have had.  He said that the discharge document from NGH had nothing about Physio or home care and after the operation I had it was imperative - it seems he has rattled a few cages in Fracture Clinic and Orthopaedics this afternoon. Physio is probably one of the most important things to undertake especially as the NHS have 'spent' £16,000 this time around to fix what went wrong. Not their fault that it went wrong of course. The Practice Manager has suggested that with all the care in Cliftonville before Christmas, the Dynamic Hip Screw fix and the subsequent 'revision' to give me a total hip replacement that the 'bill' to the NHS will not be far short of £100K - seems a shame to spoil all that work by not arranging the necessary help post operation which in cost terms is tiny!!

By the time the Practice Manager got through to the right person she had gone home for the weekend so I'll now have to wait until Monday to find out what the NHS (and specifically NGH) are going to do to help.

I am, of course, attending Physio privately because I think it is important but am still left to fend for myself at home in a Georgian designed house with a spiral staircase and 7" risers. Is anyone keeping an eye on me; well yes but only as they are able and they are not professional carers.

The NHS is wonderful with its clinical work but appalling with its after care - just remember it was like this the first time around in November/December-2015; I complained then and was promised it would never happen again - it's just not good enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.